Leukoplakia is a condition in which thick, white patches are formed, on the gums and inside the cheek, at the bottom of mouth and sometimes on tongue. These patches cannot be removed easily from their position.
Leukoplakia is not a serious situation itself but it can be treated as the beginning of cancer.
Causes Of Leukoplakia:
The causes of this disease are not yet known but some of them are:
• Tobacco intake in long run is main factor.
• Alcohol intake in abundance regularly.
• Mechanical irritants such as rough fillings or dentures.
• Smoking is the major cause of this disease.
• Snuff could also one of the reasons.
Symptoms Of Leukoplakia:
Leukoplakia is found in various shapes. It is found on gums, inside cheeks on tongues. It appearance can be described as:
• White or grayish patches that cannot be wiped away.
• Irregular or flat structure
• Thickened or hardened structure
• Sometimes red Coloured raised raisons can also be seen.
Treatment of Leukoplakia:
The goal of treatment is to eliminate the lesion. Removal of the source of irritation is important and may lead to disappearance of the lesion.
• Dental causes such as rough teeth, irregular denture surface, or fillings should be treated as soon as possible.
• Smoking or other tobacco use should be stopped.
Surgical removal of the lesion may be necessary. Initial excision biopsy should be done to rule out carcinomatous changes. Laser surgical ablation using CO2 laser is used in homogenous lesions.
Laser surgery for oral mucosal lesions has been reported to have many advantages, and it is widely used in the treatment of oral leukoplakia.