Tonsillectomy by RF Coblation.
Tonsillectomy by Coblation technology is routinely performed in Jubilee Hospital Trivandrum. This is well accepted by many patients as the post operative pain is very less when compared to traditional method of tonsillectomy. Coblation-assisted tonsillectomy can significantly improve your patients’ postoperative experience.
Coblation-based RF surgical devices operate at a lower temperature and are much less traumatic than traditional surgical tools. As opposed to exploding tissue structures under high temperatures, coblation devices gently dissolve the targeted tissue, thus leaving the healthy tissue surrounding the tonsils unaffected.
Since radiofrequency current does not pass directly through tissue during the coblation process, tissue heating is minimal. Most of the heat is consumed by the ionization process. These ions then bombard tissue in their path, causing molecular bonds to simply break apart and tissue to dissolve at a relatively low temperature, typically 40 degrees to 70 degrees Celsius.
Advantages of Coblation Tonsillectomy:
• The tissue is less traumatized so there is significantly less bleeding, less pain and less frequent use of narcotic analgesia.
• Significantly faster return to normal diet, starting from the day of operation.
• Less incidence of postoperative nausea.
• Less depth of thermal necrosis to adjacent tissue.
• Patients resume normal activities much sooner compared to those undergoing conventional tonsillectomy.